Take Action TODAY To Prevent Fatal Overdoses in Massachusetts
- An Act to Reduce Opiod Overdose Deaths (S907) Sponsored by Senator Steven Tolman
- An Act Relating to Controlled Substances and Medical Treatment (H2256) Sponsored by Representative Alice Peisch
- An Act Providing Limited Immunity from Prosecution for a Person Who Seeks to Obtain Medical Assistance for a Drug Related Overdose (H1303) Sponsored by Representative William Galvin
What: Judiciary Committee Hearing for H2256 and H1303
When: Wednesday, October 5th at 1:00 PM Where: Room A1, The State House in Boston
Why: The Hearing Allows You to Make Your Voice Heard! Sometime after the Hearing, the Committee will “Vote to Pass” or “Vote Not to Pass?” A “Vote to Pass” Allows the Bills to Move on to the Next Stage in the Legislative Process
What Can You Do? Take Action!
- Call, Email, Write or Visit your Legislators and Ask them to Support H2256 and H1303, and make support known to Judiciary Committee Chairs. You can also ask your legislators to support S907 even though it is not being heard on October 5th.
- Write supportive testimony (a letter) to share at the Hearing. Or mail/email your testimony to the Judiciary Committee Chairs:
Who are MY Legislators?
- Look up your Representative and Senator Online at www.wheredoivotema.com. Just enter your address and find out the names of your legislators!
- Or Call the Secretary of State?’s Office at 1-800-462-8683.
Tips on Contacting Your Legislators:
- Phone Calls: Call the State House at 617-722-2000 and ask to be connected to your legislator’s office. o You may not be able to speak directly to your legislator. Still leave a message with their legislative aide and ask that they record your request for your legislator to support the bills.
- Letters: Address mail to: Representative/Senator _______, The State House, Room ___, Boston, MA 02133.
- Emails: Legislators receive hundreds of emails a day, so make yours stand out! Put important information in the subject line. For example, “Please Support H2256 and H1303, 911 Good Samaritan.”
General Tips: Be brief! Be specific! Be courteous!
Senator Cynthia Creem (Represents Newton area) Room 405, The State House, Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-1639 Fax: 617-722-1266 Email: Cynthia.Creem@masenate.gov
Representative Eugene O’Flaherty (Represents Chelsea and Charlestown) Room 136, The State House, Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2396 Fax: 617-722-2819 Email: Gene.OFlaherty@mahouse.gov