This month, we announced the hiring of our new Executive Director, Jason Ortiz ‘08! In addition to being a longstanding alumnus of our network, Jason has been on the frontlines of the cannabis equity movement and has led over a dozen races for elected office as campaign manager and political consultant, bringing significant experience to the youth movement to end the War on Drugs. Our Interim Executive Directors, Rachel Wissner ‘11 and Luis Montoya ‘16, will retain their roles as Director of Development and Communications and Programs Director.
This February was also the first month we celebrated Black Futures Month, putting a forward-looking spin on Black History Month by celebrating Black members of our global network on social media. To cap off the month, SSDP hosted a panel featuring SSDP members and alumni to discuss how the War on Drugs has affected Black communities globally, facilitated wonderfully by our African Development Consultant Moronfolu Adeniyi ‘14! Additionally, multiple SSDP chapters across the network started or made significant gains on their policy priorities, which you can read about in our Network Highlights.
#Sensible2021 registration has launched, with early bird registrations due March 19th. With cutting-edge core conference program, prominent keynote speakers, informative and entertaining, and multiple virtual networking sessions spread across 4 days, you’re not going to want to miss this. Make sure you register ASAP!
New Activists and Chapters
- Ohio University
- Serina Gordon (Ambassador)
- Jake Hadamik (Ambassador)
- SSDP Surrey
- SSDP Bristol
- SSDP UCL
- University of Montana
- Wake Forest University School of Medicine
- Michigan State University
- Oakland Community College
- University of California Santa Cruz
- Northwestern University
- George Washington University
- SSDP Surrey
- UConn Hartford
- 54,856 Facebook followers, 5,072 Instagram followers, 909 Twitter followers. Please follow us!
- 17 members certified through the SSDP African Orientation Training
- 3 open student director positions open on our Board of Directors
- 1 amazing conference coming up with early bird registration ending in 7 days (March 19th). Register now!
- 1 Rory O’Brien ‘19 promoted to Digital Communications Coordinator
- 1 new Executive Director, Jason Ortiz ‘08!
- Minneapolis SSDP spurred a collaborative statement from the MN Department of Human Services Behavioral Health Division and the Office of the Ombudsman for Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities (OMHDD) condemning the use of drug detection dogs in treatment settings, stating it is not evidence-based nor culturally- and trauma-informed.
- Brett Mulligan ’18 and Willamette University College of Law SSDP members co-authored the Oregon Cannabis Equity Act that was recently introduced in the Oregon State Legislature
- SSDP University College London got approval from their Student Union to hold harm reduction workshops during Freshers Week and to share a virtual Freshers Week Harm Reduction Pack
- University of Washington SSDP participated in the successful campaign to secure funds to establish a safe consumption space in Seattle in 2021
- Michigan State University raised $240 at their Valentine’s Day fundraiser
- Kat Ebert ’18 of Michigan State University SSDP received a donation of office space for the Decriminalize Lansing campaign
SSDP in the news
- Former Head of DEA Concedes, Cannabis Is Real Medicine – Forbes
- New Video of Capitol Attack; Nord Stream Bribe Scheme; Biden, Xi Speak – Sputnik International
- Branch of ‘Students for Sensible Drug Policy’ launches at Bristol University – Epigram
- 80 Non-Governmental Organizations, Faith-Based Groups, and Academic Institutions Call for the Biden Administration to Repeal ICC Sanctions – Human Rights Watch
- The New, Diverse Leaders of Cannabis Reform – CelebStoner
- Minnesota Marijuana Legalization Bill Clears Second House Committee – Marijuana Moment
- N.J. officially legalizes marijuana, town of Princeton proposes Cannabis Task Force – The Daily Princetonian
- Cannabis Movers & Shakers: Cannformatics, Urban-Gro, SSDP, Agrify, NVG, Australis, PPIB, Fyllo, Keirton, CRC, TheraTrue, Hanu Labs – Benzinga
From the blog
- Introducing University of Surrey
- SSDP Welcomes Jason Ortiz as Executive Director
- Apply to Become a Candidate for SSDP’s Board of Directors
- Submit a Session Proposal for #Sensible2021
- SSDP’s STEM in Congress List Has Launched
- Announcing #Sensible2021: The Virtual Drug Policy Conference
- January 2021 Report Card
- Introducing the SSDP International Board & Everything Else You Missed At SSDP’s International General Assembly
- Introducing New Ambassador at University of York
- U.S. Members – Take Our Limited Drug Decriminalization Policy Position Survey
- SSDP African Orientation Training: Session Results and Feedback
Upcoming events and days of action
These events include those which are hosted by SSDP, SSDP International, SSDP chapters, or in which we are partners or co-hosts, or feature an SSDP member as a speaker. If your chapter is hosting an event that you’d like listed, please let your SSDP team member know. Check the “Member Benefits” section for event discount codes! See our Events Calendar for more events and days of action.
- March 24 | Worldwide | World Tuberculosis Day
- March 25-26 | Online | SSDP Orientation
- April 7 | Worldwide | World Health Day
- April 8-9 | Online | SSDP Congress
- April 12-16 | Vienna, Austria / Online | The 64th Session of the Commission on Narcotic Drugs
- April 29-May 2 | Online | Sensible2021: The Virtual Drug Policy Conference
Recommended reading and resources
- Rory O’Brien ‘19: Drug Overdose Deaths Surge Among Black Americans During Pandemic
- Róisín Downes ‘15: The Impact of Global Drug Policy on Women: Shifting the Needle
- Vilmarie Fraguada Narloch ‘09: Most People With Addiction Outgrow It Naturally. We Need to Hear Them.
- Rob Hofmann ‘16: Illinois Moves To End Cash Bail, Reform Pretrial Procedures
- Carmen Jackman ‘19: Design Justice: Community-Led Practices to Build the Worlds We Need
- Luis Montoya ‘16: SSDP Chapter Organizing Manual
- Dip Devices’ Dipper – Get 15% off and give 15% to us with code “SSDP15”
- Dip Devices’ EVRI – 1% of all sales go to SSDP & MPP
- Gift your credit card rewards to SSDP with Charity Charge
- Work with NisonCo to propel your organization through public relations in the recreational cannabis, medical marijuana, and hemp industries.
- Arcview Ignites – Get cannabis industry expertise from the leading cannabis investor network and SSDP gets a percentage of revenue share
- Get books from our Recommended Reading list and give back at the same time
- Shop to give back with iGive, Giving Assistant, and Amazon Smile
- Eco-Ag U Online from Acres U.S.A. – Get 15% off of any course or rewatch with discount code “SSDP15”
Jobs and opportunities
- Careers Page – 4Front Ventures
- Careers Page – Dr. Bronner’s
- Volunteers Vacancy – Harm Reduction International