Drug cartel members burst into a Juarez drug rehabilation clinic yesterday, lining up patients and executing 17 of them. On the same day, newly appointed ( 2 weeks ago ) deputy police chief Jose Manuel Revueltas, was killed in President Calderon’s home state of Michoacan in western Mexico by heavily armed men in two vehicles just a few blocks from police headquarters. How many Saint Valentine’s Day Massacres do we need to witness before we end drug prohibition? I’m not feeling like ranting so here are some current highlights from the drug war:
- 13,000 people have been killed since late 2006
- Obama plans to give $1.4 billion to aid fighting drug cartels (aka, wasting tax dollars and increasing violence)
- Ciudad Juarez has become the most violent city on earth.
- In 2009 there have been 4,736 murders in Mexico
- There have been 24,000 arrests in 2009 and the violence still continues