Nothing is inevitable, but it’s undeniable: the DARE generation is done with marijuana prohibition, and it’s time for us to usher in a new approach to drug policy. This is our chance! 2016 marks the first election when Millenials and Gen Xers make up the largest share of the electorate. That would be pretty cool, but it doesn’t mean we’re going to win on the issues important to reformers. We still don’t vote at anything close to the rates of older voters and they don’t support sensible reforms at anything close to the rates that we do.
So pick up the phone. Spend as much time as you can today driving young voters to the polls through our phonebank. And if you can’t make a call, consider making a gift of $5, $10, or $20 to help us thank callers with a t-shirt. We have more power than we imagine, and it’s about effing time we use it.
———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Tyler Williams, SSDP <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 8:00 AM
Subject: Polls close in 39 hours
In the most critical election yet for the drug policy reform movement, Students for Sensible Drug Policy has reached out to tens of thousands of young voters to make sure they make their voice heard on election day. But our opponents are working hard, too, to derail our efforts to bring sensible marijuana reforms to states across the nation. That’s why we aren’t letting up. We’ve been calling young people through our phonebank, educating voters about the harms of marijuana prohibition and making sure they have a plan to vote on election day!
You can help end marijuana prohibition just by making phone calls between 9am Eastern and 9pm Pacific. Voters under 35 are incredibly likely to support ending marijuana prohibition, but are also the least likely group to vote. We can improve turnout simply by telling them that a reform initiative is on the ballot! In Florida in 2014, youth voter turnout nearly doubled thanks to the medical marijuana initiative!
- Just go to legalize2016.org and create an account to get started.
- Once you have an account, you can start making phone calls using your own phone.
- Follow the provided script and follow the on-screen instructions to keep making calls.
- Make a plan right now to log 100 phone calls before the election ends on November 8th.
- Tell your friends! We’re only as effective as the amount of voters we can reach, and the more people we have phonebanking, the more voters we can reach!
- Be sure to check the Leaderboard often to see which chapters and individuals have made the most calls!
And there are prizes! We love contests! Of course there are prizes.
- Every person who logs at least 100 calls will receive an awesome new Start Making Sense t-shirt.
- The chapter that logs the most calls will be invited to book a talk in the spring semester with Betty Aldworth & another drug policy leader, author, or criminal justice reformer who fits with the chapter’s interests.
- Top student callers will get a one-on-one mentoring session with a drug policy or criminal justice reform thought leader! Check out the blog post for to see the list of leaders who are generously dedicating their time to SSDP.
- Every member of the Alumni Association who logs 1,000 calls will get a free registration to SSDP2017, and the top caller will get a sweet prize pack from the new SSDP store (coming soon!).
See you on the leaderboard,
Tyler Williams ’11
Regional Outreach Coordinator