POSITION DESCRIPTION: NEW YORK STATE COORDINATOR
Type: Full-time permanent, exempt
Supervisor: Operations Director
Location: New York, USA
Timeline: Applications will be accepted beginning July 23rd, reviewed immediately, and accepted until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is September 1, 2021.
Students for Sensible Drug Policy
SSDP is the only international network of students dedicated to ending the War on Drugs. At its heart, SSDP is a grassroots organization, led by a youth-run Board of Directors. We create change by bringing young people together and creating safe spaces for students of all political and ideological stripes to have honest conversations about drugs and drug policy. Founded in 1998, SSDP comprises thousands of members at hundreds of campuses in countries around the globe.
SSDP is an international grassroots network of students who are concerned about the impact drug misuse has on our communities, but who also know that the War on Drugs is failing our generation and our society. SSDP mobilizes and empowers young people to participate in the political process, pushing for sensible policies to achieve a safer and more just future, while fighting back against counterproductive Drug War policies, particularly those that directly harm students and youth.
|Hiring and compensation policies|
SSDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women or non-binary people, people of color, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply, particularly those who have been adversely affected by the War on Drugs. We understand that unraveling the harms of the War on Drugs requires us to engage in practices and adopt policies aligned with the values we seek to engender in the world. We leverage our opportunity to create a more just and equitable workplace through our Hiring and Compensation Policies. We do not conduct drug testing of candidates or employees.
SSDP uses Holacracy to define and organize domains, roles, and accountabilities for staff. Work is conducted using the Getting Things Done time management system, and all staff capture their work in Asana, promoting a very high degree of transparency. Responsibility is distributed throughout the entire team and successful team members are driven, accountable self-managers who are open to constructive feedback, enjoy iterative processes, and embrace well-managed risk.
The New York State Coordinator will manage chapter support, alumni engagement, and policy campaigns in the state of New York with a strong emphasis on introducing our model decriminalization resolution through coalitions with new and existing allies. The New York State Coordinator will also oversee our fundraising efforts in New York State and provide organizational support for our New York State Chapters.
- Maintains active and fruitful relationship with donors in New York State
- Plans and executes fundraising campaigns targeting New York’s burgeoning cannabis and psychedelic industries
- Encourages chapters and students to develop expertise in fundraising and conducting fundraising for chapter activities
- Aids development staff in highlighting student activities, stories, and accomplishments to the SSDP donor community
Develops strong student leaders and cultivates active, effective SSDP chapters:
- Responds to all new chapter applicants in a professional manner within one business day of receipt
- Maintains contact with all chapter leaders and Ambassadors in New York
- Provides assistance, advice, guidance, and support to SSDP members in the areas of chapter management, advocacy, event planning, leadership transition, etc.
- Documents outreach work through strict adherence to internal data standards, including maintaining organized and accurate data on established and interim SSDP chapters and Ambassadors
- Tracks and reports on chapter activities in New York, including maintaining notes on campaign involvement, membership changes, events, high quality chapter attributes, etc.
- Continuously collects and records accurate membership data from chapters
- Keeps website content (as it relates to chapter data) up to date
- Records and reports work activities and progress to other members of the SSDP team on a weekly basis
Facilitates communication among chapter leaders:
- Hosts (statewide, regional, or topically focused) conference calls for SSDP members
- Connects SSDP members with each other and to other entities that could aid in their development
- Assists with maintenance of state social media groups, including Facebook and Slack, and email lists
- Maintains and moderates channels of communication
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Responsible for assisting, facilitating, and attending (unless impossible) regional SSDP conferences
- Provides support as necessary for international conferences and other SSDP-hosted events
- Plans, promotes, and conducts leadership training and provides associated materials
- Assists chapters in seeking out sources of local funding
- Travels to chapters in assigned regions for major events when possible
- Assists with organizing regional fundraising and/or alumni events
- Helps organize local outreach, action, and educational events
- Attends chapter activities in person (when ﬁnances and logistics allow) and participates as a facilitator, trainer, or speaker
Advocacy and Policy Development
- Aids in developing policy analysis as assigned or in collaboration with state activists and allies
- Builds coalition with community-based allies to further relevant policy and advocacy goals; works with SSDP members to build coalition with campus-based allies and others representing communities most harmed by the Drug War
- Facilitates programs designed to strengthen the skills of students and SSDP members, provides opportunities for chapters to accomplish political and fundraising objectives, and advances SSDP’s role and profile in advancing sensible drug policy
- Captures important audio and video for record keeping and public consumption
- Produces compelling and accurate content for the blog and website
- Facilitates communication between SSDP chapters and other drug policy activists and reform organizations
- Suggests content for, and occasionally drafts, local press releases
- Effectively communicates with limited media and the public in an organized, clear, and concise manner
- Maintains clear and regular communication with the SSDP team, Board, and chapters, as individuals and groups, regarding SSDP’s mission and objectives
- Cultivates cooperative relationships with organizations and individuals working for sensible drug policies to carry out the organization’s objectives, strategies, and tactics
Management & Professional Development
- Aids Operations Director in analyzing chapter network data
- Maintains relationships with students, alumni, supporters, vendors, donors, and allies on behalf of the organization
- Serves as a leader and mentor for the New York SSDP network
- Manages part-time interns as needed
Ideal candidates for this position have experience as a member of the SSDP network, are friendly, outgoing, energetic, accountable, communicative, and display a strong desire to work with students and youth to change drug policy.
Necessary skills and experience:
- Comfort and experience working on policy change at the state and municipal levels
- Comfort and experience building relationships with potential donors and supporters
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Comfort with extensive phone and video chat communication
- Demonstrated success in group leadership and coalition building
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to adhere to strict data and record keeping practices
- Proficiency in the use of the Google Apps for Business suite; strong ability to use and understand web-based programs
Terms of Employment
This is a full-time, permanent, exempt position. Some travel is required. Evening and weekend hours will frequently be required but are generally planned in advance.
Compensation and benefits
SSDP offers a salary commensurate with experience and similar positions in the local market and ensures a living wage to all full time employees. The salary for this position is $40,000 with annual salary adjustments available according to the Hiring and Compensation policies. The benefits package includes health, dental, vision and life insurance, a generous paid time off policy, and an Employee Assistance Program. SSDP offers flexible work scheduling and observes all federal holidays except Columbus Day, instead closing the office the day after Thanksgiving.
Please submit a cover letter with your resume by email to email@example.com. The resume and cover letter should be combined in a single PDF file and titled as follows: Last-First-Coordinator. Reference “NY State Coordinator” in the subject line.
Note: Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.